Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Disposable Dixie Cup Drinker.

Title is three references; a line in the song "I am Trying to Break Your Heart" by Wilco, a reference to the character Brodie Bruce in the Kevin Smith film "Mallrats," with Brodie being a reference to one of Kevin's friends, Walt Flanagan. God I'm a geek. And I loves me some Kevin Smith.

So this is about movies, obviously. I got out to see "Whip It!" yesterday. I have been waiting all year for it to come out, mostly for Ellen Page, who I adore. The weird thing is, I wasn't too into it. Ellen Page was spectacular, as was everyone else (and Beef Supreme himself, Andrew Wilson, did a perfect job as the coach), and Drew Barrymore did a fine job directing, but it just felt mediocre overall. I'm not disappointed, though, since it was still mildly entertaining. Still, I don't think I'll be adding it to my DVD collection when it comes out.

I did however, add two new ones to my massive collection. I picked up a copy of "Drag Me To Hell," my second favorite movie of the year behind "Inglourious Basterds," and also a copy of "Donnie Darko," which I had been meaning to see for years. It lived up to everything I expected, except the assumption that it had no real meaning and was a fucked up movie. I was able to piece the plot together but I still have to get all the symbolism.

By the way, is anyone excited about the "Boondock Saints" sequel coming out in two weeks? I am appalled at the fact that Troy Duffy thinks he can capture lightning in a bottle twice with this franchise. The first movie gained its cult status by word of mouth and was only available in Blockbuster upon original release. And I highly doubt the sequel will only be in 50 theaters for one week. The only people that are going to see this are fans of the first film, so don't expect it to rake in the big bucks, Duffy.

And to be honest, say what you will about "Boondock Saints," but after all the fun, action, and humor, the movie is still a piece of shit. Yes, it's insanely cool and I like it a lot, but it's still a piece of shit. I know I'm in the minority for thinking that, but think of this; "Dirty Work," the Bob Saget-directed and Norm MacDonald-starring movie from the 90's is one of the worst movies ever, but will have you squealing long after the movie is over. Don't believe me? Rent it. I don't think there's a single person out there that would call it a "good" movie.

On an end note, I finished my third day at Taco Bell. I'm still under review and don't get paid for three weeks, but things are looking promising. Chin up.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment