Friday, July 10, 2009

No one counts until they're dead.

Title of blog is from the song "Closed Captioned" by Fugazi. Ian Mackaye is a personal hero of mine.

I said I'd talk a lot about the music industry and this is no exception.

I started out in a magazine as associate editor with my friend Nikki and we only had one issue but I made connections with about 14 bands, even reviewing Magnolia Electric Co. The review sucked but they didn't tell me that. I scout out shows and help film/photograph bands and have roadied for a band on a summer tour. Basically living my dream. The next step? Record label.

Harkening back to the first paragraph, Ian Mackaye fucking rocks. I'm not going to get into the ethics of Dischord Records (Mackaye's label), but it's an artist's and fan's dream, with affordable quality music and cheap shows. I'm planning a letter to Ian asking for some pointers on how to start my own indie label in NJ with the same game plan, including finding small venues and charging $5 a show. Thing is, I'll be signing whoever I can grab; rappers, hardcore, goth metal, avant-garde, etc. I want people to fall in love with the diversity of this future label, see the quality and discover that they can explore other genres on the label.

This is a large undertaking for me as I am also recording a new demo with a now-tuned guitar and repaired saxaphone. Also, look for a YouTube channel under my rock-monicker.

There's so much more I can do. I'll explain why later.

No comments:

Post a Comment